member for Richmond for nearly 30 years influenced coalition politics for much of the 1970s and 80s
A former Deputy Prime Minister and Head of State Doug Anthony died at the age of 90 in a convalescent home in northeast New South Wales.
He died peacefully on Sunday morning at the Heritage Lodge retirement home in Murwillumbah, his family said.
Anthony was chairman of the Country Party, later renamed the National Party, for 12 years and deputy prime minister for almost 10 years, which had a major impact on coalition politics in the 1970s and 80s.
Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Anthony « was an unclaimed man with a passion for regional Australia. « .
« As Secretary of Commerce and Resources, Doug worked to modernize and expand our trade agreement with New Zealand, opened up the uranium industry in Australia, and tried to expand trade with Japan, China and the Middle East. ”
Deputy Prime Minister and Head of State Michael McCormack said: « Rural and regional Australia has lost one of our greatest today. « .
« The results Doug Anthony has achieved for regional and rural Australia are proven, » said McCormack.
“He was keen to ensure that the country’s Australians had a strong voice in government and that they were not only heard but that they were front and center for government decision-makers. ”
« Stories of him as incumbent Prime Minister and as the leader of the country from his caravan on the north coast of New South Wales make up the political fabric of our party and our nation. ”
Nationals vice chairman David Littleproud said Anthony embodies the best qualities of leadership and service and leaves a great legacy for future generations of National Party officials.
Former Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull described Anthony as « a great Australian ». .
« An eloquent and dedicated Australian republic advocate who often shares a platform with his liberal partner Malcolm Fraser and their old Labor rivals Gough Whitlam and Bob Hawke, » Turnbull tweeted.
« Although Doug was privileged to serve the people of Australia in high office, Doug has always considered his family to be his greatest legacy and contribution to the world, » the family said.
“He was a man from the Tweed region, and it is fitting that he leave this life out of the community he loved so much.
“His family is very proud of his legacy. Although he was always very humble, he made a lasting contribution to the nation and especially to the people of Australia. ”
Doug Anthony, Australian National Party, Deputy Prime Minister
World News – AU – Doug Anthony, former Head of State and Deputy Prime Minister, dies at 90
. . Related title :
– <a href = "/? s = Former Nationals Leader and Former Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies at the age of 90 Former Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies at the age of 90.
– <a href = "/? s = Former Nationals Leader, Australia& # 39; Longest serving Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies. Australia&'s longest serving Vice Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies
– > Doug Former Head of State and Deputy Prime Minister Anthony dies at the age of 90
– Doug Anthony, the headkicking dynasty, dies
– Former Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony dead at 90
– Political Heavywei ght and Australia&’s longest serving Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies at the age of 90
– Ex-Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies
– >> Former Australian Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony dies at the age of 90
– Former deputy PRIME MINISTER DOUG ANTHONY dies at the age of 90.
– Death of Right Honorable Doug Anthony AC CH
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: