The season opening Maui Pro with the world’s best female surfers was put on hold after a shark attack in Honolua Bay.
The semifinals of the World Surf League competition should begin. Australians Tyler Wright and Sally Fitzgibbons faced each other when a recreational male surfer was attacked.
The man suffered leg injuries and was taken ashore to undergo CPR before being rushed to the hospital.
Erik Logan, WSL executive director, said the event was over for that day and the organizers were working with local officials to assess when it would resume.
It only takes a woman a week and a half to sustain serious upper body trauma in a shark attack in West Maui.
Retired Australian Mick Fanning was attacked by a shark in 2015 during a WSL competition in Jeffreys Bay, South Africa, but was unharmed.
There were eight fatal shark attacks in Australia this year, well above the country’s annual average of around one.
Meanwhile, Wright’s young brother Mikey was getting closer to regaining his full-time spot on the World Championship tour, winning the first wildcard fight with Italian Leonardo Fioravanti in Hawaii’s pipeline.
The day after Tyler hit a perfect 10 at the nearby Maui Pro event to defeat Stephanie Gilmore, Mikey, 24, tasted successful too.
Wright and Fioravanti, 23, are battling for injury placeholder on the tour and will surf three head-to-head runs in Pipeline, the site of this week’s opening event on the men’s tour, Pipe Masters.
In a tight competition in tough conditions of two to three meters, Wright beat his rival, who couldn’t find a winning wave when the clock ran out.
Honolua Bay, Maui, World Surf League, surfing, shark attack
World news – AU – Pro surf competition stopped after cruel shark attack
. . Related title :
– Shark Attack stops Hawaii Surf Contest
– A shark attack on a local surfer in Maui stopped the competition in the Roxy Pro
– Pro surfing competition stopped after cruel shark attack
– Maui shark attack sends man to hospital, approved for surgery
– Shark attack postpones WSL Maui Pro as Aussies& # 39; Semi-final put on hold
– & # 39; Surfing is for everyone& # 39 ;: Tyler Wright wears the Pride flag and scores a perfect 10 points on Maui Pro. <br
– The Australian stars Tyler Wright and Sally Fitzgibbons were stranded in Maui after the shark attack
– Shark Attack Stalls Maui Pro
– Shark incident near Honolua Bay, Maui Pro competition on hold
– DLNR NEWS RELEASE: UPDATED SHARK WARNING WILL CONTACT MAUI& # 39; S HONOLUA BAY AFTER MORNING . . .
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: