It’s a gesture that is very much appreciated by everyone who has met it, and yet the politicians have responded lukewarm and even surly
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Christmas tour of the country brightened up those dark times. The couple took the Royal Train to make 10 stops around the UK mainland, mostly to thank people who have worked hard and are in danger for themselves and who look after others during the pandemic. It was a gesture that was very much appreciated by everyone who met them, and yet the politicians reacted lukewarm and even sullen. Their progress to Scotland and then Wales was accompanied by an official tut-tut that they were making an « unnecessary journey » when asked not to wander far from home.
The SNP administration in Edinburgh issued a somewhat pointed « reminder » of the strict restrictions that apply north of the border. Nicola Sturgeon, who usually never missed out on her daily press conference, took the opportunity to welcome the royal couple and referred any questions to Buckingham Palace. Welsh Health Minister Vaughan Gething said he would prefer no one to make unnecessary visits, adding that he was « not particularly concerned or interested » about the trip. No. 10 also left Buckingham Palace to campaign for the tour, though officials said this should not be construed as criticism.
What a joyless bunch they are. It is hardly like the Duke and Duchess fail to make every effort to ensure their health, and the health of those they encounter is not compromised. The public understands this and recognizes the importance of such moral visits, just as they did as the great-grandparents of the Prince, King George VI. And Queen Elizabeth, visited bomb sites during the war. The various political leaders across the country may have found it difficult to say, but we do not hesitate to do so. Thank you.
We strongly recommend that you disable your ad blocker for The Telegraph website so that you can continue to access our high quality content in the future.
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and Catherine Middleton wedding, United Kingdom
World News – AU – The Royal Train Tour was a much-needed boost to public morale
. . Related title :
– The Royal Train Tour was a much needed boost to public morale
– SARAH VINE: What Sour Grapes for Carp at William and Kate&’s Wellbeing Tour of Great Britain
– > Did Kate misspell the thank you message at Euston Station?
– Herzog und Her Drew from Cambridge visit Royal Berksh of Reading& ire Hospital thanks NHS staff
– Royal Train UK Tour: Cambridges& # 39; by train as a couple visiting Cardiff, Bath and Reading
– The Duchess of Cambridge shows her abundance of chic coats on the Royal Train Tour of Great Britain
– The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Cardiff Castle
– The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge talk to students about mental health in Cardiff
– The Duchess of Cambridge eventually meets with a man she spoke to on the NHS Check In and Chat . . .
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: