© 2021 Copyright RFI – All rights reserved. RFI is not responsible for the content of external websites. Target group ratings certified by ACPM / OJD.
Anish Giri from the Netherlands will face Ian Nepomniachtchi in the final of the Magnus Carlsen Invitational chess tournament this weekend after the Russian defeated Carlsen in a tense encounter.
Nepomniachtchi prevailed in a tie-break against the Norwegian world champion after the two players had each won a set in rapid format.
When the quick sets are a tie, like the tie between Nepomniachtchi and Carlsen was seen, the result is decided by three blitz games, in which each player has five minutes plus an increment of three seconds for each move.
It was a victory in the third blitz game, the Nepomniachtchi after the tie in the first two blitz games helped to the final.
After his win, the 30-year-old said the tie breaker was a lottery and he had received the winning ticket.
In the other encounter, Giri angered the well-trained Wesley So by following A draw in the first set won the second set in the quick section.
This also applies to the current series leader, having won two of the three events – the Skilling Open and the Opera Euro Rapid Tou rnam – who won the Magnus Carlsen Chess Tour.
Carlsen loses the final blitz game after pushing too hard, which means Nepomniachtchi will play Giri in the final of #MagnusInvitational! #ChessChamps pic.twitter.com/o5xcnwZyog
The final is expected to be an interesting affair, as Nepomniachtchi and Giri will also compete in the Candidates Tournament, which will resume on April 19th in the Russian city of Yekaterinburg.
The tournament was suspended in March last year. Nepomniachtchi and the French grandmaster Maxime Vachier-Lagrave are at the top with 4.5 points.
Related title :
– Cash box: World champion Carlsen beaten his own Chess tournament
– 2021 Magnus Carlsen Invitational: Giri, Nepomniachtchi Reach final as Team Hikaru breaks in $ 1 million in donations
– MCI 7: Magnus destroyed himself after epic fight
– Nepomniachtchi, Giri-booty projects So-Carlsen title duel
– Magnus Invitational: Nepomniachtchi stuns Carlsen to reach the final
– > Wesley So Magnus Invitational crashes
– Magnus Carlsen Invitational: Nepomniachtchi holds Carlsen, faces Giri in the final
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: