NSW, WA and Qld to raise cap on international arrivals; Victoria reports 45 new cases and five deaths and NSW reports six cases; Queensland to reopen ACT border from 25 September. Follow live
The Bureau of Meteorology is warning that parts of northwestern regional Victoria could be hit by severe thunderstorms and potential flash flooding tomorrow.
Remembering people in regional Victoria are enjoying their first weekend of eased coronavirus restrictions, they might have to head indoors in some places.
The bureau has issued a severe weather warning for Saturday over the Grampians and central ranges, with wind gusts of up to 100km/h possible.
Locations which may be affected include Stawell, Ararat, Kyneton, Ballarat and Daylesford, Victoriaâs state emergency services said.
Severe thunderstorms and heavy rain currently over SA and QLD are expected to impact northwestern #Victoria tomorrow. Video current at 3.30pm AEST Friday, 18 Sept 2020. For the latest warnings visit https://t.co/0TBmG3qS3r & follow advice from emergency services. #VicWeather pic.twitter.com/VuZXeqY9D1
The SES is asking people to be ready for the heavy rain and large hail that could hit tomorrow.
Damaging storms with a risk of heavy rainfall, winds & large hail are expected for parts of northwestern Vic tomorrow, Saturday 19 Sept. Before a storm hits, make sure you’re prepared. Stay up-to-date with the latest weather via the @BOM_Vic website: https://t.co/CvgmAt2eHd pic.twitter.com/VRHPkx0NqP
The NSW Nationals leader, John Barilaro, will take mental health leave from parliament immediately following the last fortnightâs tumultuous near-split with his Liberal Coalition partners over koala protections.
Barilaro told his party room colleagues by text message this afternoon that he will take up to four weeks leave to work on his mental health.
The text apologised for not being the leader they wanted him to be but added that he would not have acted differently on the issue.
He said some of the party room knew of âhis strugglesâ and he intended to work on these issues during the break.
His leave is likely to act as a circuit breaker on the crisis within the Coalition.
Barilaroâs deputy, Paul Toole, will have carriage of the negotiations with the premier Gladys Berejiklian over the terms of the koala habitat protections state environmental planning policy. It is due to be discussed in cabinet on 6 October.
7News in Sydney is reporting that NSW deputy premier John Barilaro is taking a monthâs break âon mental health grounds.â Weâre chasing this up.
The NSW Nationals leader last week backed down from a threat to pull his party out of the stateâs coalition over new laws to protect koalas.
BREAKING: 7NEWS’ @alexhart7 reports NSW Deputy Premier @JohnBarilaroMP is taking leave effective immediately. https://t.co/TWh1KQycs4 #nswpol #7NEWS pic.twitter.com/1C4CFYxknY
Queenslandâs chief health officer Dr Jeanette Young says they have retested sewage at a Hervey Bay wastewater treatment plant for covid-19, and the test has come back negative.
Queensland Health, the University of Queensland and CSIRO have a pilot research project to test sewage for traces of covid-19.
The project had previously detected covid-19 at the Hervey Bay plant. The new result didnât mean the previous one was wrong, she said.
While the fragments indicate someone was shedding the virus, this can occur for several weeks after the person is no longer infectious and the fragments themselves are not infectious.
AAP reports traffic delays on the road to Geelong, where police and ADF are checking Melburnians donât try to take advantage of an easing of coronavirus restrictions in regional Victoria.
Footage from a TV network helicopter at the Little River checkpoint shows a line 20 kilometres long.
On Thursday, assistant commissioner Rick Nugent said police would try to keep delays at checkpoints to 30 minutes.
Melburnians risk a fine of almost $5,000 if they try to travel to regional Victoria without a valid reason.
Senator Penny Wong, Laborâs foreign affairs spokesperson, is talking to the ABC and sheâs not interested in giving the prime minister, Scott Morrison, any credit for raising the caps on international arrivals.
Sheâs saying Morrison was âdraggedâ to the agreement with the states because of bad publicity driven by people stranded overseas.
Morrison and the government had been âpretty focused on having a go at state governmentsâ and the extra 1,500 arrivals to be staged over the coming weeks was not enough.
Wong said it wasnât right that the caps should be shared responsibility, and that it was the government, and not states, who were responsible for borders and quarantine. She said:
Wong also wanted to see all aircraft options âon the tableâ, including government jets and charter flights, to get stranded Australians back in the country.
Queenslandâs deputy premier, Steven Miles, didnât miss the chance to sell the state as a tourism destination to Canberrans after lifting the border closure to the ACT.
Queensland borders will open to the ACT from 1am on Friday, September 25.Victoria and New South Wales are still declared hotspots, and anyone who has visited those states in the past 14 days will not be allowed into [email protected] @qldhealthnews #covid19au pic.twitter.com/kiYVM40hRJ
Qatar Airways has welcomed the National Cabinetâs agreement to ease the strict international passenger arrival caps.
In a statement released shortly after Scott Morrison announced New South Wales, Western Australia and Queensland had agreed to each take 500 more weekly arrivals by the middle of October, the airline has said it âremains committedâ to the Australian market.
In recent weeks, Qatar Airways chief executive Akbar Al Baker has said the caps, which have been set at about 4000 nationally per week, threatened the viability of Australian routes, and acknowledged the airline was prioritising business class and more expensive passengers to cover their costs under the caps.Al Baker said:
âWe are pleased to see the announcement by the Australian Government that it will increase the cap on international arrivals to Australia allowing more Australians to be reunited with their families and loved ones.
Qatar Airways has always maintained a long-term commitment to Australia and our support to Australian passengers has not waivered despite the challenges of Covid-19.
Due to the cap on international passengers, travelling to Australian destinations, based on limitations of quarantine facilities, currently Qatar Airways can carry a limited number of passengers per day to all of its Australia destinations, resulting in thousands of Australian citizens and residents being unable to be accommodated on flights. Despite the challenges, Qatar Airways is operating a robust Australian network.â
Itâs been a national cabinet day which means itâs been a busy day of announcements on Covid-19. Hereâs whatâs happened so far:
Afternoon all and thanks to Naaman Zhou. Weâll recap the day shortly as thereâs been plenty going on.
But before that, a little more from WA premier Mark McGowanâs press conference from a few minutes ago.
McGowan said a third of the jobs created across the country in August had been in his state and he wanted to âcontinue on this trajectoryâ and keep the stateâs economy moving.
But he said he had asked Neville Power, the chairman of the national Covid-19 commission board, to talk to some national companies that he said were still asking their WA staff to work from home.
This is where institutions have national policies for conditions in Sydney and Melbourne that are not applicable here.
Iâll be handing the blog over to Graham Readfearn now, who will take you through the rest of the day.
He says that the federal government initially wanted the state to double its intake of returned Australians by 28 September, which he refused.
WA has now agreed to a staggered system where they will gradually increase the number of arrivals, starting with 200 on 28 September, rising to 500 on 12 October.
âWe have been asking for federal government support, given quarantine is a federal government responsibility under the constitution. However, the federal government is of the view that states need to continue to manage quarantine.â
McGowan says that WA may also need to delay some elective surgery across the state, as more medical staff are deployed to hotel quarantine.
âIâm glad the federal government agreed to provide more Australian Defence Force support and adjust the earlier decision.â
He adds that WA has received 4031 international passengers so far, which he says is the second highest number of overseas arrivals of any state.
He says that under eased restrictions, outdoor events and music festivals could go ahead, if they have approved safety plans.
âEvents like the Wave Rock festival, Spring in the Valley, and suburban and regional shows can now go ahead with Covid safety plansâ.
Also in sport, Melbourne Storm player Christian Welch has said he is âincredibly remorsefulâ for a Covid-19 rule breach.
Welch is in isolation and is awaiting the results of a Covid-19 test after he invited an unregistered guest to his room overnight on the Sunshine Coast, AAP reports. The prop will now miss the Stormâs Saturday night match against the Wests Tigers.
From midnight, Melbourne players and staff were free of strict quarantine âbubbleâ conditions, given it had been two weeks since theyâd played a team from NSW.
However itâs believed the woman, who was stopped by police as she departed, had arrived before that deadline while she wasnât on registered guest list.
âIâm incredibly remorseful and sorry for my actions,â Welch said in a statement. âI love this game and everything it has given me and Iâm shattered that I have let everyone down.
âCalling my parents to let them know about this was the worst phone call Iâve ever made. I know itâs a privilege to play in the NRL and I want to apologise to all for any damage I have caused.â
The Storm briefed the NRL Integrity Unit and Queensland government early on Friday once notified of the breach, which is their first since relocating from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast in July.
Chief executive Dave Donaghy said he spoke to Queenslandâs chief health officer Dr Jeannette Young on Friday who assured him there was very low risk of Covid-19 transmission among the community.
âWeâre confident the test wonât come back anything other than negative but it has to go through a process,â Donaghy said.
Storm and Welch will now await the findings of the NRL Integrity Unit, with the 26-year-old facing a potential fine.
Before you post, weâd like to thank you for joining the debate – weâre glad youâve chosen to participate and we value your opinions and experiences.
Please choose your username under which you would like all your comments to show up. You can only set your username once.
Please keep your posts respectful and abide by the community guidelines – and if you spot a comment you think doesnât adhere to the guidelines, please use the âReportâ link next to it to let us know.
Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!
Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis
[maxbutton id= »1″]