Alex Scott has said she does not want the small minority of people who send her negative messages online to get her “down”.
The former footballer and presenter, 35, told Hello! magazine she has had “incredible experiences” since quitting professional sport.
Scott, who has previously starred on Strictly Come Dancing, has moved into punditry with the BBC and Sky after hanging up her boots.
“At first, I thought no one liked me on TV as there was a whole lot of negativity online, but I’ve got to a place now where those sorts of comments are only like 10 to 20% and I have a whole audience that does love me and is behind me,” she said.
“I don’t want to let that small percentage stop me or get me down when I’ve worked so hard to be where I am.”
Scott said she used to go to recording studios after training to get experience, and did a degree in sports writing and broadcasting.
She said it is “OK to be more than one thing”, adding: “I can put on a dress but also the next day put on my football boots, and that should be celebrated.
“I’m so proud of my career but, as Strictly showed, there can be so many parts to a person, and I’m no different.
“I love fashion and music and I love going to my mum’s in east London for a roast dinner.”
On Friday, Scott thanked fans for their “support” after she had received online abuse when she was linked to A Question Of Sport.
The BBC has denied that any decision has been made over the new presenting team, saying “no conversations have been had about the future line-up”.
The UK has recorded nearly 4,000 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, and a further 18 deaths.Another 3,899 have people tested positive for Covid-19, as of 9am on Sunday, the Department of Health said.
Matt Hancock has said the Government will impose fresh national coronavirus restrictions if the public fails to follow the existing rules.The Health Secretary warned Britain « faces a tipping point » and ministers will have to take more measures if the public does not follow Covid-19 regulations.
Brits who fail to self-isolate will soon face fines of up to £10,000, Boris Johnson has revealed, amid rising concern at the spike in Covid-19 infections.The announcement comes as Sadiq Khan warned that London should be placed under new lockdown restrictions as early as Monday to curb the recent surge in cases.
SHOTLIST TEHRAN, IRANSEPTEMBER 20, 2020SOURCE: AFPTVRESTRICTIONS: NO Access Israel Media/Persian Language TV Stations Outside Iran/Strictly No Access BBC Persian/VOA Persian/Manoto TV/Iran International 1. Wide shot Tehran street and banner of Iran’s Supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and Former supreme leader Ayatollah Khomeini2. Mid shot Iranian people walking on a pavement in Tehran TEHRAN, IRANSEPTEMBER 20, 2020SOURCE: AFPTVRESTRICTIONS: NO RESALENO Access Israel Media/Persian Language TV Stations Outside Iran/Strictly No Access BBC Persian/VOA Persian/Manoto-1 TV/Iran International 3. Mid shot journalists covering the presser of Saeed Khatibzadeh, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman4. Wide shot journalists covering the presser of Saeed Khatibzadeh, Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman TEHRAN, IRANSEPTEMBER 20, 2020SOURCE: AFPTVRESTRICTIONS: NO Access Israel Media/Persian Language TV Stations Outside Iran/Strictly No Access BBC Persian/VOA Persian/Manoto TV/Iran International 5. SOUNDBITE 1 – Saeed Khatibzadeh, Iran’s foreign ministry Spokesman (male, English, 13 sec): « We expect, as it has been shown up until now, the international community and all the countries in the world to stand against these reckless actions by the regime in the White House and speak in one voice to stop these actions by the regime in the White House. » 6. Wide shot people walking on a pavement in Tehran 7. SOUNDBITE 2 – Leila Zangeneh, martial arts instructor (female, Farsi, 10 sec): « The reality is that Iran has no way forward but to negotiate. How long is it going to continue in this stubbornness? I’m not suggesting a 100% submission, but they still have to find a solution so that the US would drop these sanctions and stop making the situation more difficult. » 8. Wide shot people walking on a pavement in Tehran9. Wide shot mosque at Enghelab square in Tehran ///———————————————————–AFP TEXT STORY: REAX-newseriesIran urges world to unite against US ‘reckless actions’Tehran, Sept 20, 2020 (AFP) – Iran on Sunday called on the rest of the world to unite against the United States, after Washington unilaterally declared UN sanctions against the Islamic republic were back in force. »We expect the international community and all the countries in the world to stand against these reckless actions by the regime in the White House and speak in one voice, » foreign ministry spokesman Saeed Khatibzadeh told a news conference in Tehran.Washington has said it will « impose consequences » on any country not complying with the sanctions, although the US is one of the only nations that believes they are in force. »The whole world is saying nothing has changed, » Khatibzadeh said, adding sanctions were in place only in the « imaginary world » of US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. « This is much ado about nothing, and I believe these are the most bitter days and hours for the United States, » he added.Calling Washington « isolated » and « on the wrong side of history », Khatibzadeh said Tehran’s message for it was to « return to the international community, to your commitments, stop rebelling and the world will accept you. »According to Pompeo, the UN sanctions were back in force from Sunday.The move relies on the controversial « snapback » mechanism, which the US claims allows any of the partners to the 2015 nuclear agreement to reimpose UN sanctions if Tehran violates its obligations.kam-amh/pjm
Covid vaccine tracker: when will a coronavirus vaccine be ready?. More than 170 teams of researchers are racing to develop a safe and effective vaccine. Here is their progress
Human trials of the Oxford and AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine are yet to resume in the US over concerns the jab may cause adverse reactions. Trials of the Oxford vaccine have been paused twice after two participants, both British women, sequentially developed transverse myelitis, an inflammation of the spinal cord that can cause paralysis. The first pause, in July, was not publicly revealed and the trial was restarted after it was determined the volunteer had multiple sclerosis, a condition that can cause the same neurological reaction. The second pause, widely reported two weeks ago, followed the second suspected case of the condition in a volunteer who is said to have been hospitalised but now recovered. Trails of the vaccine have since been restarted in Britain, Brazil, India and South Africa, but are still on pause in the US where the legal and historical context means regulators tend to take a tougher stance. On Saturday, AstraZeneca released further data on its trial protocols, but US experts continued to raise concerns. Dr Peter Jay Hotez, a virologist with Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, told the New York Times: “The communication around it has been horrible and unacceptable. This is not how the American people should be hearing about this.” Dr Hotez, whose views were echoed by other US experts, also criticised statements released by UK Government officials, including regulators, who he said had failed to supply a clear rationale for resuming their trials. “Tell us why you came to that decision,” he was reported as saying. In an information sheet for trail volunteers dated September 11, AstraZeneca explains the risks as follows: “Reactions in the nervous system are also extremely rare, but can include an illness called Guillain-Barré syndrome, a condition in which people can develop severe weakness and can be fatal. “In the current trial we have undertaken safety reviews when volunteers in the trials [of the vaccine] developed unexplained neurological symptoms including changed sensation or limb weakness, and have paused the study while a safety review took place. “After independent review, these illnesses were either considered unlikely to be associated with the vaccine or there was insufficient evidence to say for certain that the illnesses were or were not related to the vaccine. “In each of these cases, after considering the information, the independent reviewers recommended that vaccinations should continue”. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the main drugs regulator, has not commented but is reported to be requesting further data on the two adverse reactions from AstraZeneca. On Saturday, following calls for greater transparency, the company released related details about its trial protocols and how it will calculate if the vaccine works. It said its goal is a vaccine with 50 per cent effectiveness, the minimum threshold for FDA approval. To determine it had hit that target with statistical confidence, it would have to record at least 150 confirmed cases of Covid-19 among trial participants. But once 75 cases were recorded, it added, the trial’s safety board would perform an early analysis, perhaps giving it enough data to apply for an early emergency use licence. Concerns around neurological side-effects are especially sensitive in the US. In 1976, an emergency influenza vaccine caused 450 cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome and 30 people died after 45 million people were vaccinated. Guillain-Barré syndrome and transverse myelitis are closely related conditions, both causing inflammation of the spinal cord. The fears among experts is that such conditions are relatively rare, with transverse myelitis diagnosed in only about one in 250,000 people a year, making it difficult to spot. Dr Paul Offit, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania and a member of the FDA’s advisory committee on vaccines, told the New York Times it was unclear how AstraZeneca – or the UK regulators – determined that the second suspected case of transverse myelitis it reported was not related to the vaccine. The trial in Britain involved only about 8,000 volunteers when it was reported. Mark Slifka, a vaccine expert at Oregon Health and Science University, said: “If there are two cases, then this starts to look like a dangerous pattern. If a third case of neurological disease pops up in the vaccine group, then this vaccine may be done.”
One of Nicola Sturgeon’s closest allies has faced a barrage of criticism over a « disgraceful » article stating the deaths of elderly Scots was delivering a “gain” for independence. Angus Robertson, the SNP’s former Westminster leader and deputy leader, said “55,000 predominantly No supporting voters [were] passing away every year”. Combined with more pro-separation young people reaching voting age, he said that had produced a “gain of over 100,000 for independence” since the referendum of 2014. Holyrood’s opposition parties condemned the intervention, highlighting the deaths of thousands of old people in recent months from coronavirus and the threat of a potential second wave. But Mr Robertson, who is planning a political comeback in next May’s Holyrood election, called the criticism « politically motivated » and « manufactured outrage ». He argued the same point about the demography of the Scottish electorate changing had been made the same day by a former head of communications for the Scottish Tories.
Edward and Sophie and their children, Lady Louise Windsor and James, Viscount Severn, collected rubbish on Southsea beach in Portsmouth on Sunday.
Villagers help Indian troops face Chinese forces in HimalayasBoth sides prepare for winter with little hope of diplomatic outcome to border dispute
Coronavirus UK map: confirmed Covid cases and deaths today. Are UK coronavirus cases rising in your local area and nationally? Check week-on-week changes across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and the latest figures from public health authorities
Tatler has removed swathes of passages from a hotly disputed profile it published on the Duchess of Cambridge amid reports Kensington Palace took exception to « snobby » remarks aimed at the Middleton family. The magazine, known as the bible of high society, was allegedly accused of publishing « lies » in an article which claimed the Duchess felt « exhausted and trapped » following Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s decision to step back from royal duties. The piece entitled « Catherine the Great » was published in May and featured in the magazine’s July/August edition. A version of the profile was also published online. The profile reported how Carole Middleton, Kate’s mother, is a « terrible snob », her sister Pippa is « too regal and try-hard » and described how the 38-year-old was « perilously thin » like Princess Diana. The claims have now been removed from the online version of the article. Tatler claimed to have spoken to numerous unnamed friends of the Cambridges at the time of publication. But its content is said to have caused huge upset with criticism of the Middleton family said to be of greatest concern.
Dancing On Ice stars Brianne Delcourt and Kevin Kilbane have taken to social media to show off her growing baby bump
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: