All the players on the Napoli team stepped onto the pitch wearing number 10 jerseys to pay tribute to club legend Diego Maradona on Thursday November. 26th.
This game was the Italian team’s first since Maradona’s death at the age of 60 on Wednesday.
Captain Lorenzo Insigne led the honors along with fans who had gathered in front of the San Paolo stadium before the game.
The entire team then wore black armbands and Maradona’s legendary jersey during the team presentation and the minute’s silence.
They were standing under a photo of Maradona projected onto a large screen in an empty stadium with no spectators.
The Argentine led Napoli to league titles in 1987 and 1990 and to the UEFA Cup in 1989.
The Europa League game against Rijeka, like all games in Italy, took place behind closed doors because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Fans made their way to the San Paolo Stadium all day, which could soon be renamed in honor of Maradona.
A plaque in front of the stadium gates read « Diego Armando Maradona Stadium » with the face of the Argentine hero.
Maradona played seven seasons with Napoli between 1984 and 1991 and made a name for himself with the Neapolitans.
Blue and white scarves, flowers, photos of Maradona and shirts with the number 10 were left in memory of the player.
An hour before kick-off, several hundred fans were singing in front of the stadium.
« I believe it is right to baptize San Paolo with your name so that you can still be with us, » wrote club president Aurelio de Laurentiis on the club’s website.
Maradona will receive a state funeral in Argentina that declares three days of national mourning.
If you like what you read, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Telegram for the latest updates.
Stories from us: Lim, who did the feat in just 11 sessions, talks about how he got into ultra-long distance running and why he doesn’t plan on quitting anytime soon.
Copyright © 2020 Mothership. All rights reserved.
Cloud hosting from Vodien. Web design by Yu Sheng & Yu Siang. Web development by Ripplewerkz.
Diego Maradona, S.. . S.. . C.. . Napoli, UEFA Europa League, San Paolo Stadium, Serie A, Argentina National Football Team
World news – GB – Napoli players all wear the No.. 10 shirts in honor of Maradona, who played for the club from 1984-1991
. . Associated title :
– Napoli players all wear the No.. 10 jerseys in honor of Maradona, who played for the club from 1984-1991
– honored Napoli Diego with victory, Leicester and Arsenal in Europe last 32
– Legend lives on in Naples
– Napoli pays tribute to Diego Maradona before victory in the Europa League
– Naples mourns the loss of Diego Maradona when his former club asks for the stadium to be renamed in his honor
– Napoli fans flock to the stadium in Maradona tribute
– Napoli players wear Maradona&s No.. 39;. 10 jerseys as a tribute before the clash in Rijeka
– Napoli to rename San Paolo stadium to Diego Armando Maradona as a poignant tribute to the legendary player after his death
– Napoli Wear & # 39; Maradona& # 39; Jerseys on the pitch, homage to the deceased football demigod in the Europa League duel
– Napoli 2-0 Rijeka: The Serie A club wins the first emotional game after the death of Diego Maradona& # 39
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: