World news – Hull KR 32-33 Castleford: Gareth O’Brien lets Tiger’s Golden Point win in the Challenge Cup



Ryan (8), Quinlan (29), Vete (31), Parcell (36), Kenny-Dowall (59), Abdull (62)

Abdull (29.69), Lewis (31.36)


Trueman (23), Olpherts (46, 71), McShane (50, 77), Turner (80)

Richardson (23,46,50,77)
Drop goals:

O’Brien (97)

Hull K R versus CastlefordChallenge Cup
Friday, April 9th, 6:00 p.m.

Extra time is played

It took Castleford 99 minutes to hold out against Hull KR and secure his place in the final eight of the Betfred Challenge Cup with a dramatic 33-32 Golden Point win at Craven Park.

Gareth O ‘ Brien, whose sweeping drop goal on the same ground helped Salford a dramatic 2016 Million Pound Game victory, was the Tigers’ hero after he and his teammates missed no less than eight kicks between them.

Rovers also had two failed drop-goal attempts after the game ended 32-32 at the end of 80 minutes.

Hull KR, who is playing his first competitive game at Craven Park in over a year, brings himself to his knees Force after taking a 22-6 and 32-18 lead.

Though Rovers started their Super League season with two losses, they looked full of energy after kick-off, and after the former Castleford second rower , Luis Johnson, across the line g They created an overlap for full-back Adam Quinlan to bring in winger Ethan Ryan for the opening attempt.

As Castleford began to work its way into the competition, hooker Paul McShane broke in the middle but Rovers struggled well, and when captain Michael Shenton finally got over the line, he was brought back for a forward pass.

Hull KR failed to relieve the pressure and Jacob Trueman punished a weak defense for the score in the 22nd minute to equalize, and Danny Richardson converted his attempt to put the visitors in the lead.

The lead lasted only five minutes, however, when Rovers made three attempts within eight minutes to gain control of the game.

Quinlan opened the break for substitute Jez Litten, while supporter Albert Vete crashed on his first attempt for the club with his considerable mass from a short distance and the formidable whore Matt Parcel reached out from the dummy half to get the ball on the line.

Jordan Abdull and Mikey Lewis converted all three attempts between them to open a 22-6 advantage and Castleford Daryl Powell’s encouraging talk, however, seemed to do the trick when the guests hit back with two attempts in five minutes at the start of the second half.

Left winger Jordan Turner was held on his back and then brought back for a forward pass before Richardson’s cut-out pass allowed right winger Derrell Olpherts to cross in the corner and McShane retrieved the ball from his own cultivator kick to try to hit an opportunist / p> Richardson added both conversions to narrow the gap to just four points, but Rovers captain Shaun Kenny-Dowall shaped the game and used his power to to get two defenders over the line for one try before clearing to overtake Abdull.

Olpherts found more space on the right flank to make his second try and McShane doubled his record for that too Match by cutting his way from close range.

Richardson kicked his fourth goal and McShane was held over the line before carving an opening for Turner to tie the points after the final hooter.

Richardson had a chance to win it, but he was far from trying to send the game into overtime.

O’Brien had the first chance to break the impasse, but his 40-yard kick fell behind.

Richardson missed two attempted pointers and Abdull was also past the target before O’Brien’s second attempt went down when the stalemate lasted until the end of the additional five minutes in each direction.

As the game l resumed after 90 minutes, Richardson, O’Brien and Trueman all saw further attempts to miss the target, and Richardson had an attack until O’Brien finally found the mark.

© 2021 Sky UK


Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos

Vidéo du jour: