Granholm, who served two terms as governor of Michigan, has experience working in the auto industry.
Former Michigan Gov. . Jennifer Granholm speaks on stage at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, California. | Steve Jennings / Getty Images
President-elect Joe Biden will elect the former Michigan governor. Jennifer Granholm heads Energy, the agency that would play a key role in developing the technologies required, and fulfills its promise to free the country from fossil fuels.
Granholm, who served two terms as governor of Michigan, has experience working with the auto industry – a potentially great asset as the new president accelerates the adoption of electric vehicles and the network of charging stations required to power them would like to.
Granholm’s passionate support for the auto industry could help Biden’s team increase its attractiveness for workers and the manufacturing sector as the new government drives its climate-centric economic transformation. And it would be a clear change of course compared to President Donald Trump’s first energy minister, the former Texas governor. Rick Perry, who used the position to boost natural gas exports and get regulators to back coal as a source of electricity.
Most of the Department of Energy’s budget is devoted to maintaining the country’s nuclear arsenal, but it also operates the 17 national laboratories that have helped develop advanced technologies for renewable energy, nuclear and fossil fuel production. Under former President Barack Obama, the Department of Energy oversaw loan guarantees and tens of billions of dollars in grants that expanded the adoption of solar and wind power and led to a sharp drop in the price of renewable electricity. Those successes were tarnished at the time by the Solyndra scandal, a solar technology company that collapsed after raising more than $ 500 million in federal funds.
DOE will also play a key role in reducing emissions from building the nation, another goal of Biden’s climate plan. DOE is responsible for setting equipment standards, researching innovations such as electric heat pumps, and overseeing energy efficiency programs for buildings and homes.
Granholm has tried to position himself as a character who can help U.. S.. . Transitioning industries to a clean energy economy, a process that Biden has made one of his four main goals.
« [D] The private sector needs more support and political will from our policy makers to realize the full potential of a carbon-free future, » Granholm wrote in November. 7 published in the Detroit News. “The economy is clear: the time for low-carbon recovery has come. ”
If this were confirmed, Granholm, who defeated Trump Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’s husband to win her second term as governor, would be just the second woman to lead the department since its inception in 1977.
Granholm has actively applied to be considered for the job, said those familiar with the matter, showing how Biden’s clean energy goals might fit with his desire to rejuvenate the rust belt economy. She has long been considered likely to win a seat in Hillary Clinton’s cabinet if Clinton had won the 2016 election.
« She worked really, really hard in 2016 to position herself as Secretary of Energy with the Clinton team, » said Skip Pruss, who headed Michigan’s Department of Energy, Labor and Economic Growth under Granholm. « She is really a student of the [energy transition]. If you asked me what a limitation is in Michigan I would say it was a bit ahead of its time. «
She received the nod over a short list of candidates that included former Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz and DOE Under-Secretary of State Arun Majumdar. Environmentalists pushed hard on Moniz, saying he was too close to the fossil fuel and nuclear power industry.
Granholm’s Michigan connections to the auto industry and its ability to enlist support for a transition to electrified transportation would be central to Biden’s vision for the U.. . S.. . Economy and for the nation’s climate change conundrum. Transportation is the largest greenhouse gas emissions sector in the United States. S.. . Biden’s drive to zero net greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 therefore requires the widespread adoption of electric cars, trucks, buses, trains and planes.
« It’s going to be phenomenal for DOE, » said Dan Kammen, an energy professor who worked with Granholm at the University of California-Berkeley. « She understands the technology, she understands the mission, and she knows how to run a big agency. «
Jennifer Granholm, Joe Biden, Michigan Governor, US Department of Energy
World News – US – Biden to tap into former Michigan government. Granholm heads the energy department
. . Related Title :
– <a href = "/? s = Joe Biden selects former Michigan governor. Jennifer Granholm heads the energy department. Joe Biden is reported to select the former Michigan government. Jennifer Granholm is reported to be running the energy division
– <a href = "/? S = Biden to help develop the former Michigan government. Granholm heads the Biden Energy Division to develop the former Michigan government. Granholm heads energy department
– <a href="/?s=BREAKING: Former Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm is supposed to be Biden' Biden&'s energy secretary
– Report states that Biden has selected Jennifer Granholm as Secretary of Energy. Secretary
– Biden Selects Jennifer Granholm, Former Michigan Governor, for Energy Secretary
– Biden ready to appoint Granholm head of the Department of Energy
– <a href =" /? s = Biden, to select the former Michigan governor. Jennifer Granholm heads Biden's energy division to select former Michigan government. Jennifer Granholm heads the energy department
– <a href = "/? S = Former Michigan government. Graniden heads the energy division and says, "Former Michigan government. Graniden will head the energy division, says Biden
– > Biden will be the former Michigan governor, Granholm, select as energy minister secretary sources
– Reports: Biden wants to select Granholm as energy minister
Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos
Vidéo du jour: