World news – Youth Cup match report: Manchester United 0-1 Liverpool


Chris Shaw


The Liverpool U18s dug deep to beat Manchester United 1-0 and advance in the FA Youth Cup on Saturday afternoon.

Tyler Morton’s header in the 16th minute, skillfully looking over the goalkeeper, separated the sides in an entertaining first half and ultimately proved sufficient for the win.

The Marc Bridge-Wilkinson team had to See the final quarter of the 10-player competition after James showed Norris a red card.

But they held on to keep United at bay and maintained a slim advantage that turned into a fifth round later that month to Leicester City.

The hosts got off to a brisk start at Leigh Sports Village, and their early backball tactics showed their potential in the fifth minute.

Charlie McNeill broke free and kicked his target into the Liverpool net, but the offside flag had already been hoisted to deny any celebration.

Next, the Reds gave Hannibal Mejbri the property right in front of the penalty area and he opened it There is room in the middle for an explosion that was vitally blocked by the conscientious Billy Koumetio.

The quarter of an hour brought Liverpool’s first chance of a draw. Mateusz Musialowski carried the ball on purpose from the left channel and fired an attempt that was blocked by United goalkeeper Radek Vitek.

But the break lasted barely a minute as a nice move gave the visitors a breakthrough. </ They patiently moved possession from right to left and Norris then complained a perfect cross into the area where Morton arrived on time to throw a header over Vitek and in.

Dominic Corness wasn’t far from it scoring a second goal when his 20-yarder shot past the left post while Hannibal at the other end saw a hit from a similar distance deflect it straight off the target.

Chances were good and Koumetio sent a header from Morton at one Free kick over the bar before McNeill aimed a low shot straight at Harvey Davies when United found him in the box in space.

The home team started the second half like the first, but now t both with longer possession and with more real chances.

In the 51st minute, Alvaro Fernandez’s shot from close range was shot out of the gate by Conor Bradley after a shot into the box broke the Liverpool defense.

Shortly thereafter, Davies had to stand up strongly and block at the near post as Hannibal trickled down the sideline trying to bring a goal home.

The United States’ pressure continued as the clock ticked – and the Reds’ challenge grew in the middle of the half when Norris was sacked.

The left-back’s sliding challenge against Marc Jurado as he attempted to win the ball halfway resulted in an immediate red card from the referee .

Bridge-Wilkinson introduced Luke Chambers from the bench instead of Max Woltman as he reorganized defensively with Liverpool’s oppressive waves of attack.

Hannibal swept a We took a free kick to the wrong side of the left post around 25 yards, but the defiant Reds survived much of the rest unscathed to advance to round five in the FA Youth Cup.

Liverpool U18: Davies, Bradley, Norris, Quansah , Koumetio, Stephenson, Corness (Jonas, 90), Morton, Woltman (Chambers, 72), Balagizi, Musialowski (Wilson, 84).


Donnez votre avis et abonnez-vous pour plus d’infos


Vidéo du jour: